Air conditioners are great. On a hot summer day, they can transform your home from a hot, miserable swamp to an icy paradise. There’s no better feeling than laying in your cool sanctuary, safe from the deadly heat that is the outside. Your air conditioner is an object of praise and quite possibly one of the only things you truly can not live without.
That is why it is so heartbreaking when you come to find out that there is a problem with your air conditioner. What once was your most prized possession is now your worst enemy. You’re angry at it for not working anymore, but all you need to do is relax and locate the problem. Once you do this you will be able to fix it easily and quickly, and you will soon be back to your icy paradise.
If you are experiencing air conditioning problems, you’ve come to the right place. Listed below are some of the most common problems with air conditioners and their solutions.
- Faulty Wiring. All it takes is one small wire to become loose and your entire air conditioner will not work. If this is the case you simply need to take a look at every connection and make sure everything is where it’s supposed to be, your air conditioner will be working back to normal.
- Your refrigerant is low. The refrigerant is what allows your air conditioner to function and create cool air. If your refrigerant is low you most likely have a leak in the air conditioner. All you need to do is find this leak and patch it.
- The outside fan is not working. The outside fan draws the heat from your home outside. Generally, if the fan is not spinning, there is something stuck in the blades. This could be leaves or even a branch. Remove whatever id blocking the fan blades and make sure the blades are properly aligned and your air conditioner will be working in no time.
- The filter is clogged. The filter catches all dust and debris that would otherwise be sent into your home. You should be cleaning your filter at least every month. A clogged filter will reduce your air conditioners power and increase your energy bill. Cleaning is also very easy.
- A strange yet common problem is that your thermostat is too close to your tv or other electrical appliances. Your thermostat will sense the heat from these appliances and incorrectly read the temperature. This will cause your air conditioner to run longer and work more in the long run, and will eventually cause a failure. All you must do is make sure the thermostat isn’t reading anything it shouldn’t be by keeping warm objects away from it.
- Another of the stranger air conditioning problems could be that the outside compressor is being blocked by plants or other objects. The compressor requires adequate airflow for it to function properly so if anything is blocking that airflow, the compressor will not work. Just double check and make sure nothing is in the way of your outside unit and your problem is solved!
Checking on these 6 air conditioning problems is a likely way to find out what is wrong with your air conditioner. Most often it is not a serious problem and you will be able to fix it at home. If you find that these do not help there may be a more serious air conditioning problem and you may need to contact a technician.